Trey focuses his practice on federal and Virginia criminal law matters, especially white collar and corporate cases.
As a trial attorney and former prosecutor, Trey represents individuals and companies in all phases of criminal, civil, and regulatory investigations. His clients have included witnesses, targets, and victims in investigations of everything from tax, government contract, and securities fraud to maritime and environmental violations. Trey works with Vandeventer Black’s practice-specific attorneys to provide a comprehensive defense to the full range of enforcement actions and criminal prosecutions.
Trey’s notable engagements include serving as counsel for numerous ship owners, officers, and crew in U.S. Department of Justice criminal and environmental investigations; numerous businesses involved in investigations of government contracting fraud; multiple businesses and individuals involved in federal investigations for financial services, tax, or Medicaid fraud; a shipping line in a federal false claims investigation; a wholesaler prosecuted for federal trademark infringement and contraband cigarette sales; employees of financial institutions involved in parallel SEC and federal criminal investigations of securities and bank fraud; an individual prosecuted for criminal copyright infringement of sophisticated business software; and a government contractor charged with two counts of murder in Afghanistan. Trey also has conducted numerous internal investigations for business clients faced with compliance or theft issues.
Trey has extensive experience in the courtroom, before juries, and in negotiating with government prosecutors, law enforcement officers, and regulators. He routinely represents clients in all divisions of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Norfolk, Alexandria, and Richmond) and the Eastern District of North Carolina and has represented numerous clients in federal district courts and agency hearings across the country. From his wide range of cases, Trey has experience with almost every federal law enforcement agency.
Before joining Vandeventer Black, Trey was an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney in Virginia, where he prosecuted the full range of criminal offenses from economic crimes to sexual assault and homicide. Before that, Trey was a legislative aide for the Senate Majority Leader in the U.S. Congress, where he became well acquainted with the regulatory and administrative processes of government.
White Collar and Government Investigations:
- Represented environmental clean-up company and owner in EPA investigation and federal prosecution of Clean Water Act violations.
- Represented owner of real estate investment company in federal prosecution for mortgage fraud related to residential home purchases.
- Represented multiple employees of financial institution in parallel SEC and federal criminal grand jury investigations for alleged securities and bank fraud
- Multiple representations of ship owners, officers, and crew members in US Coast Guard and DOJ investigations of alleged maritime environmental violations involving oil spills and/or oily water separators.
- Represented shipping line in Defense Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS) investigation of false claims and contractor fraud related to Military Sealift Command contracts.
- Represented tax preparer in IRS investigation and federal prosecution for alleged tax fraud involving use of straw tax filers and fictitious tax credits.
- Represented wholesale distributor in FBI and IRS investigation of counterfeit goods and illegal international financial transactions.
- Represented owner of retail clothing stores in state criminal investigation and law enforcement raid of premises relating to counterfeit clothing merchandise and trademark infringement.
- Represented wholesale distributor in Virginia Attorney General investigation of sale of contraband cigarettes.
- Represented financial services provider under investigation by FBI for alleged securities fraud.
- Represented medical doctor in DEA and DOJ investigation of internet-based prescription fraud.
- Represented owner of a construction company in state criminal investigation of contractor fraud; interceded with law enforcement to avoid charges.
- Represented individual targeted in IRS investigation and federal civil forfeiture action for alleged illegal financial structuring.
- Represented investor in condominium development in FBI investigation of mortgage fraud scheme.
- Represented manager of freight forwarding company in NCIS/FBI investigation of illegal gratuities for government contracts.
- Represented owner of government contracting company in DCIS investigation of illegal gratuities in award of ship cleaning contracts.
- Assisted in an internal investigation of employee embezzlement for proprietary college and facilitated police investigation and prosecution.
- Conducted internal investigation for manufacturer of military goods of employee embezzlement and facilitated U.S. Secret Service investigation and federal prosecution.
- Assisted in internal investigation by shipping company of possible employee embezzlement and facilitated FBI investigation.
- Represented owner of medical supply company in Virginia Attorney General investigation and prosecution for alleged Medicaid fraud.
- Represented Somali national charged with piracy against U.S. naval vessel off coast of Africa.
- Represented numerous individuals in multiple federal prosecutions for alleged immigration fraud.
- Represented business owner and spouse in federal prosecution for alleged employee benefits fraud.
- Represented government contractor charged with two counts of homicide for shooting incident in Afghanistan.
- Represented individuals in numerous federal and state prosecutions for alleged narcotics, firearms, and related conspiracies.
- Represented individual before Child Protective Services in administrative action alleging child abuse.
- Received favorable jury verdict for plaintiff in civil action against government-contractor former employer on breach of employment contract.
- Defended retail store owner in federal trademark infringement lawsuit.
- Defended light pole manufacturer in products liability wrongful death suit in state court.
- Defended construction company in federal breach of contract civil action asserting arbitration clause in defense.
- Represented restaurant before the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board and successful appeal to Virginia circuit court in disciplinary and licensing actions.
- Represented general contractor in government contract bid protest with FAA regarding construction of air traffic control tower.